Despite what the news says, the United States remains one of the countries with the most opportunities for immigrants. Although moving and finding a job in the United States is not as simple or as straightforward a process as it used to be, it is still possible. We’ll show you what options are available to you and how to live in the United States legally.
❓ Is it easy to find a job in the United States?
Yes, it is relatively easy.
The economy is booming (despite what the news would have you believe) and unemployment rates are extremely low.
So… If there is work in the United States! The problem is that emigrating to this country is not that simple. However, there are some options available if you want to move to the USA and find a job.
💼 Industries hiring immigrants in 2022
What are the jobs for immigrants in the United States? Mainly service jobs and in the manufacturing industry (the famous factories or «factories»).
Industries in need of immigrants in 2022 include:
- Hospitality and tourism
- Sale and purchase of real estate
- Sale of finance and insurance
- Health and social assistance
- elderly assistance
- department stores
- MLM companies
💰 How much will you earn working in the United States?
As a result of the giant economy, Americans have one of the highest average incomes in the world.
- Median household income is $56,516 a year
- The median salary for men is $927 per week
- Women earn $758 a week
Salaries obviously vary based on industry and occupation, as well as geographic location.
So there is huge earning potential in the US, and some of the highest paying jobs can bring in up to $287,000 USD a year.
Some of the highest paying professions include:
- Doctors and health professionals
- Managers in large corporations
- Technology and programming professionals
💲 The cost of living in the United States
Although it is true that jobs in the United States are well paid, also the cost of living can be very high. Living in cities (such as New York or Los Angeles) can be extremely expensive, and the cost of living is among the highest in the world.
Living in more rural areas, or in smaller cities, generally means lower costs of living, but also lower wages.
✅ REALISTIC options to move and find work in the United States
Now that we have a clearer idea of the earning potential and why they call the United States “the land of opportunity”, let’s see what are the realistic options for moving and working in the USA:
1. Permanent Residence
The permanent residence or green card is the method with the most advantages when moving to the United States, since it guarantees you a long stay in the country and opens the doors to becoming a US citizen.
It is possible to obtain a permanent resident card by any of these methods:
- Marriage – The fastest method. You need to marry someone who is a permanent resident (or better yet, a US citizen).
- Family – If you have a close family member (parent, sibling, etc.) who is a resident or citizen of the United States, they may sponsor your application. It usually takes longer than residency by marriage.
- Political Asylum – Available to refugees and persecuted persons. It is necessary to prove that your life is in imminent danger in your country of origin.
- Employment – Very few companies qualify to solicit employees from other countries.
- Visa Lottery – Program sponsored by the United States government to promote diversity. Please note that there is a limit to the number of applications accepted and that the gate is only open for one month each year.
2. Work visa
To work in the US you need a work permit as Americans are very strict with their immigration policy. Undocumented immigrants can get jobs, but for the most part they have greater difficulties.
Entering the United States legally has many advantages. Immigrating legally takes time and requires a lot of patience, especially if you are interested in obtaining a visa or work permit.
You will have two options: one route leads to permanent residency and the other leads to a so-called ‘non-immigrant’ work visa ( in English: work ‘non-immigrant’ visa ) that allows you to work in the USA temporarily.
Some types of non-immigrant visas can lead to permanent residency if you wish, but this will take some time.
3. Work Visa (Non-Immigrant)
Known in English as Non-immigrant Visa . It is Ideal for people who are interested in working in the United States for a limited time and then returning to their home country.
It allows you to work in the USA without having to go through the bureaucracy and procedures that permanent residence entails. To qualify for most visas in this category you will need to be sponsored by a US company.
4. H1B Visa: Special Occupations
The H-1B visa is the most popular work visa in the United States. Doctors, engineers, computer specialists are prime examples of a specialty occupation.
To be eligible for this type of work visa in the United States, you must meet one of the following requirements:
- Have a bachelor’s or higher degree (equivalent in the United States or foreign countries)
- Have completed training and have a significant amount of work experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree or higher
- Have a form of certification that authorizes you to practice your specialty in the United States and prove that you are planning to do so
It is normally valid for three years and can be renewed for up to six years.
In order for you to be approved for the H-1B visa, your employer will need to file an Employment Condition Application form ( form ETA-9035 ) showing that your salary will not affect the salaries of other employees. In addition, they will also need to fill out a petition ( Form I-129 ).
This visa is considered a “dual intent” visa, which means that it opens the door for you to become a resident once you live and work in the United States for a period of time. To qualify for this visa you will need a higher education degree (Baccalaureate and above) and work experience.
5. H2A Visa: Temporary Agricultural Workers
The H2A permit is a special set of visas that exists due to the shortage of agricultural workers in the United States. Once issued, it is valid for 364 days. In order to apply, you must come from a country on the approved list. See list of countries .
6. H2B Visa: Temporary Non-Agricultural Workers
The H2B visa is issued to applicants who are required for seasonal or temporary occupations outside of agriculture. Applicants must come from one of the approved countries . There is also a limit on the number of visas issued.
How to apply for a US visa
Regardless of the specific type of visa, all applicants must apply through the online portal at the US Department of State .
To apply for the Non-Immigrant Visa, you must complete the digital form DS-160 on this website . (If you do not see it in Spanish automatically, select “Spanish” in the “ Select Tooltip Language ” bar, at the top ).
You will need these documents to apply for a US visa:
- Valid passport
- Copy of your employment petition ( Form I-129 )
- Travel itinerary (if you have one)
- Recent travel history
- Your photo
The application for a US visa is not free. You must pay the US government a processing fee that ranges from $190 USD to $265 USD.
Interview at the American Embassy
You will also need to schedule an interview with an official at the local US embassy.
This interview will take place at the nearest US consulate or embassy. A consular officer will conduct the interview and determine if you are approved for a visa.
Some documents you will need to bring to the interview are:
- Valid passport
- DS-160 Form Confirmation
- Receipt of payment for processing fees
- Current proof of income, tax payments, business ownership or ownership, or assets.
- A travel itinerary and/or other explanation about your trip to the United States
- A letter from your employer detailing your position, salary, how long you have been employed, any authorized vacations, and the business purpose, if any, of your trip to the United States.
- Criminal history relating to any arrest or conviction anywhere, including if you served your sentence or received a pardon later.
To obtain the visa, your fingerprints will be digitally scanned. At the end of the interview at the embassy, you will be told if your application has been approved or rejected. If you are approved, they will tell you when your visa, passport and any other documentation will be ready for collection.
💼 Steps to find a job in the United States
Finding a job as an immigrant in the United States will take a little time (you can see how long it takes to find a job in the USA ), but it is possible.
As a nation, Americans are very dedicated to their work ethic, and as an immigrant, you are expected to adopt that mindset.
So our best advice for getting a job in the US: don’t be afraid of work.
In order for you to find a job quickly in the United States you will need:
- Create an attractive resume that sets you apart from other applicants
- Use these FREE sites to find in USA
- Keep a detailed control of your employment applications
Some jobs will require you to have a college education, but even if you don’t, you can still find a job.
Taking initiative and being a risk taker are qualities Americans highly value, so make sure any job application you submit communicates your enthusiasm for the job.
💵 Where to find jobs that pay a good salary
To find a job in the US, you must follow the same process that you would use to find a job in any other country.
You will start by looking for companies that are hiring and send your resume ( in English: resume )
Meeting new people can also be extremely beneficial for immigrants as you will be able to connect with different employers and be recommended for a job.
Remember that there are several free job boards that help you find work in the United States.
Some of the recommended sites are:
- Google Jobs
- FlexJobs (recommended for jobs from home)
- LinkedIn (recommended for office jobs)
Moving and Finding a Job in the United States: Summary
Moving and working in the US is a big change. Although it is not an easy process, in reality THERE ARE options that allow you to immigrate to the United States, take advantage of good jobs and earn in dollars.
Americans are generally very dedicated to their work and careers, and to have a future in this country, you’ll need to be able to show that you’re not afraid of hard work.
Are you interested in moving and working in the United States? Tell us your plans or any questions you have in a comment and we will do our best to help you.